Tuesday 12 September 2017

Always | Polly's Papercrafts | Journalling

Hey Scrap Addicts, 

It's Emma here with you again, and my sincerest apologies as still no video from me (blame PC World! The less said about them, the better!). 

As you know, we're talking journalling this month. Honestly, I suck at journalling. I can't seem to get past the basics of where, who, when and, if you're lucky, why. Maybe that's enough for most people but I do feel like I'd like to be able to dig a little deeper. I just really struggle. Anyone else with me? 

The layouts I really struggle to journal on are the ones about me. The ones where the 'who' aspect is totally redundant. Do I write on every layout, "This is me...obviously!" 

So my tip for this month is: where journalling feels like a struggle and you can't find the words, use a quote. Use someone else's words to perfectly convey your meaning. 



In this layout, a photo of me at Harry Potter Studios, I used the quote from J.K.Rowling that is up on the screen as you walk out. For me, it perfectly sums up the reason I go back and read the books so often. (Every year, in case you're wondering!) 



My base is white cardstock at 8.5"X11". I cropped my photo (originally 4x6) into a square and fussy cut some of the squares from a Pink Paislee Moonstruck paper. I always think of the Moonstruck collection for Harry Potter pages. Must be the colours.
For a bit of background interest I used a chevron stencil from Pretty My Page, our sponsor this month, with some grey Kelly Purkey ink. I just used the Tim Holtz mini distress tool to lightly blend through the stencil.



With my photo off to the left hand side, it gave space for me to position the design squares on the right. Some of which I popped up on some foam, just to add a little something-something.



The florals used were fussy cut from another Moonstruck paper and I think they frame the space below the photo perfectly, giving an excellent space to write my quote.
Full disclosure: I cannot write in a straight line to save my life - so I lightly pencilled in some lines and erased them afterwards.

Wood veneer finished the little pieces of embellishement and I almost forgot the title, so I picked the word 'always' out of the quote (which HP fans everywhere will know the significance of too) and used the Moonstruck Thickers to spell it out under the photo. Job done.

I'm really happy with how this one came together. Remember; if you can't find the words to journal, use someone else's (just make sure you credit them somewhere!) 

Until next time... 


1 comment:

  1. I love the subtle look you've used here with the stencil - just adds another layer which I love!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments...