Tuesday 25 July 2017

Take a break | Jess Claire Creates | Large Photo


Hey all, welcome back to the UK Scrap Addicts. I hope you are all doing well today. This is Jess Claire and I am here to share my take on using large photos in my scrapbooking.

Check out the process video on our YouTube channel here

I believe that 'large' is kind of subjective.  I have used what I deem to be large photos in a range of situations.  I have printed a 8x10 photo and cut it down to use in my travellers notebook, I have used 6x8 photos as a full page in mini albums for holidays and December Daily.  However this is the first time I have used a large photo in my Project Life album and I love the effect.

I knew that I wanted a photo that would span a number of pockets so I chose a photo of scenery so I wouldn't be chopping into anyone's face.  Don't look at my first Project Life pages where I did that - this is what happens when you don't plan your layouts in advance and you end up cutting 4x6 photos to fit into 3x4 pockets - it aint pretty I can tell you.

I especially love working with outdoor photos because the lighting is so nice and the colours are so clear.  And I am starting to think I'm not as much of an 'indoor person' as I always thought I was.  I actually feel uplifted and refreshed by being outside.  Anyway, enough of my ramblings.  Here is my layout




I printed my photo onto A4 photo paper, I chose not to fit it to the page.  My camera takes 16:9 photos so they're longer than they are wide, I didn't want to lose the top and bottom of my photo and I only needed it to be 6in across anyway so having it narrower on the page suited me fine.  Then I cut it down to fit in the left hand pockets I wanted it in.  Because this photo took up that whole side and I wanted to add cards and I had quite a few photos I decided to add an insert.  These photos were all from one day and they didn't need to span 2 full pages so one Design A and a half a Design A was enough.  Plus I had some photos that I wanted for the back of that insert too which worked well.



I used papers from the Pink Paislee, Paige Evans, Fancy Free 6x6 paper pad to create my cards.  I kept one floral card blank, and added some Maggie Holmes - Chasing Dreams stickers and a label to the other floral.  For the middle card I added a small section of grid paper cut from a project life card.  I also added a label from Studio Calico with more Maggie Holmes stickers and some of the pieces I had punched from one of the Fancy Free papers.  I really love how these cards turned out and how the soft pinks contrasted with the bright green in the photos.  From a design point of view I know it can be good to match the cards to colours in the photos but my photos had SO MUCH green, I kind of wanted to keep the green on my cards to a minimum and have a contrasting look.



I did some stamping using black Staz On ink and stamps from Kelly Purkey - Spring Break and Ali Edwards - Click.  I often get a faded look when stamping on to photos I have printed at home, possibly to do with the quality of my photo paper or printer ink.  I'm embracing it though, I kind of like the way it looks.



I added minimal embellishments to the photos, Maggie Holmes stickers and Fancy Free chipboard but I mostly wanted the large photo and the DIY cards to take centre stage.

Thanks for checking out my layout.  Don't forget to watch the process video on YouTube.  Also share with us your Large photo layouts, I love seeing the different ways you guys take on our challenges.  Share them in our facebook group  Facebook.com/UKScrapAddicts/  you could be in with a chance of winning a prize.  And remember to tage #UKScrapAddicts if you share them on Instagram :)

Until next month
Jess :)











No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments...