Monday 22 May 2017

Mitzi | Laura Jane Thomson | Sketch


Hi everyone, it's me again... Laura Jane and today I am working with a lovely sketch by the very talented Laura Rumble. 

For the month of May, our theme was to work with a sketch - two of the lovely members of our UK Scrap Addicts Creative Team designed great sketches for us to work with and it was a difficult decision on which one to choose.  The deciding factor for me was that Laura's sketch called for a mixed media element and lots of white space which is not something I am used to doing, so I wanted to challenge myself. 

Here is Laura's sketch that I chose to work with: 




The photograph I chose to work with is of me with my very first Long Coat Chihuahua puppy back in May 1992, this has particular significance to me as in May 2017 we welcomed our new Long Coat Chihuahua puppy into our family and having dogs in my life really changed my outlook on things for the better so it's an important photograph to me.  Also working with a May challenge, I thought that a photograph taken in May twenty-five years ago was quite fitting. 

In the photograph, I am wearing a purple top so I decided that this would be my main colour for this layout which is based on a 12x12 sheet of plain white cardstock. 


For the purple aspect behind my photograph, I decided to use watercolour paints - it was a very simple technique to use and the colour gradient almost happened by accident.  In my watercolour palette, I have three shades of purple next to each other so I just swiped the brush across all three colours before brushing onto the page so see what finish it gave and I really love how it turned out.  What do you think?



I layered my photograph onto a couple of scraps of patterned paper before adding a lilacy-pink doily and adhering to my page, also adding a tag behind the photograph in keeping with the sketch. 


I added my title, which is quite simple... "Mitzi" was the name of my little puppy in the photograph and we got her in May 1992 when this photograph was taken.  I didn't think that this photograph needed a fancy titled as I just wanted to document the moment as it is a special photograph to me.


The photograph brings back lots of memories to me as well as lots of positivity and thoughts of how she changed me, so I didn't feel that this layout needed any journalling. 


Lastly, to bring in the circle elements of the sketch, I added some small metal word embellishments and silver puffy hearts. 


I really enjoyed working with this sketch and how my layout turned out, it's also great to see the layouts from out other Creative Team members who have used the same sketch but have such a different end result.  

Our creative team add new blog posts and YouTube videos daily so don't forget to check back regularly to see some fantastic layouts and exciting inspiration!!

See you all soon!


Laura Jane xx


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments...