Wednesday 8 March 2017

Guest Designer - Nicola Mardlin

Today we welcome our first guest designer Nicol Mardlin... 

Hello everyone!  First of all, let me say what an amazing honour to be the first Guest Designer for UKScrap Addicts! Thank you so much to Laura and her wonderful Design Team for inviting me.

So, who am I? I’m Nicola Mardlin, a Derbyshire-based former Primary School Headteacher and the owner of like for evera UK Kit company. When I’m not choosing and playing with lots of lovely scrapbooking products I'm Mum to my two children, Samuel and Georgia.  Friends and family will tell you that I’m an absolute perfectionist and complete neat freak and (much as I hate to admit it) they’re absolutely right!

My close friend, Emma, introduced me to scrapbooking around 10 years ago during a holiday in Cornwall. Let’s just say that we spent ALOT of time in the local craft shop that particular holiday! I’ve always loved photos and stories and so scrapbooking seemed like the perfect creative outlet. Ten years on my layouts look completely different and my style has definitely evolved but that love of creating a lasting legacy remains. I don’t think I’ll ever tire of telling those stories.

Today, I’m sharing a step by step of a layout titled ‘courage’. Often when I create a layout, I have a particular person in mind and so my journaling is written directly to them. This time, I created with my Dad in mind and repeatedly used a quote about courage for the journaling. 

Here’s a photo of the photo of the supplies you’ll need:


I used Maggie Holmes’ Chasing Dreams collection, but any bold floral paper would work just as well.  


STEP 1
Using white cardstock as your base, journal diagonally across the layout from bottom left to top right. I created a journaling box on my laptop and ran the cardstock through the printer but you could just as easily draw a faint pencil line to guide you and hand write your journaling.  Add your title to the top edge of the journaling. I used this cut file by Jodie York to create my ‘courage’ title.


STEP 2
Using a floral stamp and ink, repeatedly stamp the floral image 4 or 5 times as shown. I used Heidi Swapp’s new Magnolia Jane ‘Only You’ stamp set. You will eventually cover some of this stamping with embellishing but the idea is to create a backdrop for your floral cluster. Add a strip of washi tape too.


STEP 3
Fussy cut 5 or 6 flowers from your floral patterned paper and 8 or 9 leaves. Wherever possible, try to choose different sized flowers so that you can layer them more easily. Arrange the flowers and leaves in the area shown, leaving a space for the photo. Once you’re happy with the positioning, stick the flowers and leaves to the background, gently curling the edges up as you go. You’ll see that I also tucked some die cut white ‘foliage’ under the edges of the flowers. This cut file is great for adding that little bit of extra texture. 
 

STEP 4
Using foam tape, add your photo to the layout. I positioned two photos on a 3x4” canvas before printing. Add a die cut shape to the left of the photo, again using foam tape.  Finish the layout with a few sequins tucked amongst the foliage and a few splatters of mist. A tip for adding splatters after you’ve completed your layout is to unscrew the top and dab the end of the plastic nozzle wherever you want your splatters to be. Works perfectly every time!


The final touch is to trim 1/4” from the left and top edge of the layout. Mount the layout onto a contrasting background, ensuring that the contrasting pattern shows along the top and the left edge. 


I really hope you’ll dig out a bold floral paper, a floral stamp and give this one a go!

 
Once again, thank you so much to UKScrap Addicts for allowing me to share my layout on the blog today. To all of the UK scrapbookers out there, remember that every layout is a gift and a lasting legacy for those you love the most. Keep cutting, keep sticking and, most of all, keep celebrating your talent!

Nicola xx
 
If you're a UK scrapper and would like to guest design for us drop us an email at UKScrapAddicts@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments...